From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-08 18:49:29

John Femiani wrote:
>I remember reading somewhere that sometimes inheritance can be a trick
>produce smaller type than composition in some cases.

In the case that virtual functions are used by both the base and derived
class inheritance will not incur the additional overhead of an extra
virtual pointer that composition would do. In this case also the
reinterpret cast from one to the other would be non-safe. This is not
the case in my design pattern since I don't use virtual functions in the
classes that derive from the template argument.

Luke