From: Marco Costalba (mcostalba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-12 02:26:36

On 10/11/07, Marco <mrcekets_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The set<signature_type>(f) and set<index>(f) are needed to manage
> overloaded and polymorfic function objects.
> That is if the functor is compatible with more than one signature
> the signature_type and the index are no more redundant but necessary.

Suppose you have a class

class A
{
    void foo(char);
    void foo(long);
};

Now one question: the compiler allows a call like this?

A a;
a.foo(7);

(Hint mine no)

So I would say a _possible_ policy is to not allow to register say

set(f6);

if is already registered a function with a "compatible" signature.

This is both more safe (IMHO) and avoid complications in the API

Just an opinion

Marco