From: Chris Fairles (chris.fairles_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-13 18:23:02

Hi David

I just ran into this issue and it had been driving me nuts because the
access violation only occured when compiled w/o optimizations mode
(-O0 gcc 4.1.1) but WITH optimizations turned on, it magically works.

The code that triggers the seg fault is line 391 of
boost/system/error_code.hpp (operator<<):
os << ec.category().name() << ':' << ec.value();

I get the same behavior using .message() as well.

It seems that, in debug mode, m_cat in the error_code has an address
of 0x0 (well, the virtual pointer does). In release mode it has a
valid address.

Does this sound like it could be the order-of-init issue you are
facing? Do you happen to have a solution? I'm not sure how to force
order-of-initialization (or if the std even allows it).

Cheers,
Chris