From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-16 15:59:23

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>>> Can you give me an example. It looks like unrelated issue.
>> Gennadiy, I've asked Eric Niebler to revert your recent changes. We
>> can't tolerate this sort of wholesale breakage of the trunk.
>
> It took me all but 5 min after report to fix it and commit. Latest vertion
> of the trunk should've work (everything by John issue, which I can't
> reproduce).

The smoke tests run at revision 40093 still were showing a lot of
failures. The new tests are running now.

> How can you expect me to make any changes? I am trying to be as
> responsive as possible.

The expectation is that changes to a foundation library like test that
is part of our testing infrastructure will be very well tested before
they are committed to the trunk.

We need to do a postmortem to figure out why your testing didn't
determine that there was a problem before you did a commit.

What tests did you run?

On what platform?

Did you add a new test to detect whatever failed?

What other steps can we take in the future to prevent this wholesale
breakage from happening again?

> This is at best discouraging. I might have couple days now and than I might
> be busy for another half a year. These changes seat on my hard drive for a
> year now - I did not have time to invest to be able to track all the issues.

Yes, I found it very discouraging too.

--Beman