From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-16 17:08:32

"Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
>>> Gennadiy, I've asked Eric Niebler to revert your recent changes. We
>>> can't tolerate this sort of wholesale breakage of the trunk.
>>
>> It took me all but 5 min after report to fix it and commit. Latest
>> vertion
>> of the trunk should've work (everything by John issue, which I can't
>> reproduce).
>
> The smoke tests run at revision 40093 still were showing a lot of
> failures. The new tests are running now.

Can't comment on these without seeing errors. I am running unit tests on NT
with:
msvc-8.0
msvc-7.1
cw
intel-8.3
gcc-mingw

All my tests passed before I commited last night.

>> How can you expect me to make any changes? I am trying to be as
>> responsive as possible.
>
> The expectation is that changes to a foundation library like test that
> is part of our testing infrastructure will be very well tested before
> they are committed to the trunk.
>
> We need to do a postmortem to figure out why your testing didn't
> determine that there was a problem before you did a commit.
>
> What tests did you run?

My unit tests

> On what platform?

NT

> Did you add a new test to detect whatever failed?

What failed? Issue with infinite recursion was bug in registration system. I
did not notice it first bacause gcc fails silently on NT. But I did fixed
last night not long after it was commited. :: before longjump is platform
issue.

> What other steps can we take in the future to prevent this wholesale
> breakage from happening again?

Independent library versioning would help. I can develop and see test
results independently of anyone else.

Gennadiy