From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-18 10:52:23

On 10/18/07, Phil Endecott <spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> No, I'm definitely not advocating that. I'm just pointing out that
> although GIL can integrate well with libraries like Anti-Grain and
> FreeType, it's less clear (to me) how it can integrate with something
> like DirectFB's hardware acceleration or CPU SIMD instructions. I
> would find this sort of integration very useful, and I'm curious to
> know if others have considered it: for example, I would be surprised if
> Adobe's products don't use MMX and hardware rectangle-copying.

Their latest version of PhotoShop was speculated to have optional use
of the GPU for some of the effects and filters. Not sure if that was
ever confirmed or not.

As a side note, both AMD/ATI and NVIDIA have GPGPU SDKs now, so maybe
if they are stable enough you could use one of those to optionally use
the GPU.

FreeType works great with OpenGL. There's a pretty simple library
that encapsulates the boilerplate stuff called FTGL. It's definitely
not modern C++, but it's extremely simple and actually works in
practice.

--Michael Fawcett