From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-18 05:06:31

Michael Fawcett wrote:
> On 10/17/07, Phil Endecott <spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I'm using a library called DirectFB, which is a relatively thin wrapper
>> around 2D hardware graphics acceleration. Operations like rectangular
>> copies and fills are hugely faster than letting the CPU do the work.

> This is traveling down the route of needing an accelerated graphics
> library in Boost

No, I'm definitely not advocating that. I'm just pointing out that
although GIL can integrate well with libraries like Anti-Grain and
FreeType, it's less clear (to me) how it can integrate with something
like DirectFB's hardware acceleration or CPU SIMD instructions. I
would find this sort of integration very useful, and I'm curious to
know if others have considered it: for example, I would be surprised if
Adobe's products don't use MMX and hardware rectangle-copying.

Regards,

Phil.