From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-22 12:58:10

Markus Schöpflin:

> Peter,
>
> I have read your paper referenced above and a few of the other papers
> dealing with atomic ops, but I failed to find a clear definition of what
> 'acquire' and 'release' semantics are supposed to mean. Could you point
> me into the right direction, please? Also, in your paper you're
> referring to [intro.concur], where could I find this?

I think that the relevant paper at the moment is

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2334.htm

Basically, if a thread A load-acquires a memory location that has been
store-released by thread B, then after the load thread A is guaranteed to
see the updates that thread B has done prior to the store.