From: Boris Gubenko (Boris.Gubenko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-25 22:13:34

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Markus Schoepflin wrote:
>> Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>> Probably the python version used by the regression test runners have
>> changed?
>
> That's entirely possible (I read that Python's handling of default
> search paths has changed on Windows with version 2.5).

The results on HP-UX are consistent with the theory that import_ test
may be affected by Python version: the test passes on a machine with
Python 2.5 and fails on a machine with Python 2.3.

However, the version of Python is not the only difference between the
two systems: the testing on machine with Python 2.5 is done with aCC
while testing on machine with Python 2.3 is done with gcc. So, it is
possible, that version of Python is not the only factor (if it is a factor
at all, of course).

> Can the testing / regression harness be fixed to report more parameters
> that affect the development / runtime environment ? In this particular
> case: the python version is certainly a critical piece of information,
> but it doesn't appear to be listed in the platform description.

I list it in comment.html.

Thanks,
  Boris

>> That doesn't explain why there were no failures prior to the 1.34
>> release. Are the current failures all on newly added platforms ? What is
>> different now from before 1.34 ?
>
> It still works on my test platform (COMSOFT), I'm using python 2.4.1.
> Probably the python version used by the regression test runners have changed?

That's entirely possible (I read that Python's handling of default
search paths has changed on Windows with version 2.5).

This brings up a point I have been making for a long time:

Can the testing / regression harness be fixed to report more parameters
that affect the development / runtime environment ? In this particular
case: the python version is certainly a critical piece of information,
but it doesn't appear to be listed in the platform description.

Thanks,
Stefan