From: Avi Revivo (revivoavi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-30 05:44:13

Hi All,

I am trying to use boost Multi Index Container in my company product to
replace an old container that gave the same functionallity but with bad
performance.

The mutli index container contains 2 non unique ordered indices.

The mutli index container will be used to insert large amount of rows
sequentially and an erase using one of the ordered indices that will
evantually erase around 10,000 rows in one erase operation since the
container will contain many duplicate values of the delete key.

Testing the insertion of 10,000 rows takes around 60-80ms on a standard PC
3.2GHZ. On a HP G4 server (2 xeon 3.2 cpu's, 4Giga of memroy) the
performance is a little better. In both cases the insertion is consistent.

However, while erasing elements using one of the indices which incur the
erase of 10,000 elements takes around 30ms on the standard PC. However, on
the HP G4 the deletion is inconsistent and far worse. It takes between 200ms
to 1.4 seconds on different deletion cycles.

I am using the same products exactly on both machines. The HP G4 does not
have a development envoirment installed on it, the standard pc have visual
studio 2005 installed on it.

Does anyone have any idea what may cause such exterme difference?

Thanks in advance,
Avi
Nice Systems ltd.