From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-30 09:54:31

Avi Revivo ha escrito:

> Note that i created a stand alone application to do only this performance
> tests compiled in visual studio 2005 without CLI support.
>
> When excuting this test program on other HP G4 servers they run as fast
> (faster) then the standard PC. I have only 1 HP G4 machine which the
> performance is as described. I tried all varation of compiler optimization
> but still. On this machine alone the performance is extermaly worse then all
> other computers when removing elements from the container.

Hello Avi,

I don't see any reason why the erase part should perform so erraticaly on the
HP server, specially when on other servers the program works fine. My hunch
is that this could be related to the L1 and L2 cache configuration of the
machine. Could you compare this particular setting with those of the servers
where performance is adequate?

Other than that I don't know what more to suggest. If you could share the test
code I'd be happy to have a look at it. Also, maybe using a pool allocator like
http://boost.org/libs/pool/doc/implementation/pool_alloc.html might have some
beneficial effect and fix cache anomalies.

Please keep me informed of your progress, if any, with this.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo