From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-01 10:49:13

on Thu Nov 01 2007, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> on Wed Oct 31 2007, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:
>>> David Abrahams wrote:
>> Patches should only be a high priority if they fix bugs... and in that
>> case they should come with a test that breaks until the bug is fixed.
>
> It is very useful and a sign of good software engineering if a test case
> accompanies a bug fix. But patch submitters don't always have enough
> time or knowledge of a library's test setup to submit test cases. I'd
> rather fixes be prioritized based on severity rather than whether or not
> they come with a test case.

When I say "come with" I mean they should come into our source
repository with a test case, which may be supplied by anyone,
inlcuding the library maintainer. I don't think we should be just
applying "bug fix" patches without being able to confirm that they
actually fix bugs.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting