From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-01 17:49:01

Michael Caisse:

> I was hoping somebody else would ask so that I didn't seem like the only
> uninformed... but since I have not seen the questions yet: Why not branch
> C and C++ further? Why try to find a solution that works well for both
> languages?

There are two main reasons, one, because a significant portion of the
community doesn't want or need such branching, and two, because the C
runtime library is (both de facto and de jure) part of C++. So a "C++
cancelation" that doesn't cancel the C blocking waits would be severely
limited in practice, unless the C++ library is revamped to offer pure C++
equivalents to all blocking C functions. (It is still much better than
nothing, though.)