From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-06 01:21:20

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Mon Nov 05 2007, Eric Niebler <eric-AT-boost-consulting.com> wrote:
>
>> I just tried to merge a bunch of changes from trunk into a branch, and
>> got this:
>>
>> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>> svn: MERGE request failed on '/svn/boost/branches/proto/v3'
>> svn: 'pre-commit' hook failed with error output:
>> File names with > 31 characters:
>>
>> /branches/proto/v3/libs/graph/test/planar_input_graphs/planar_K_4_expansion_10_p6.dimacs
>>

>> ... and a bunch more files like it. So, really? I can't merge *any*
>> changes from trunk because some files are rejected by the pre-commit
>> hook? That's a bit extreme. It's nice to enforce our file name
>> requirements, but please let me do my work.
>
> I don't understand what you expect. SVN does atomic commits; the idea
> is that you can keep the repo in an always-working state, so either
> the whole checkin works, or it fails.

What I expect:

To be allowed to merge from trunk into my branch. Period. I don't know
how these files got into trunk if they fail the pre-commit, and I don't
really care. I have no beef with svn atomic commits. I have a beef with
the pre-commit hook keeping me from getting stuff done.

Can someone tell me how I can proceed?

--
Eric Niebler
Boost Consulting