From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-08 13:49:01

on Thu Nov 08 2007, Marshall Clow <marshall-AT-idio.com> wrote:

>> > My point was that we should focus on making
>> >
>>http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&group=severity&milestone=Boost+1.35.0&order=priority
>>> (the list of tickets assigned to the 1.35.0 milestone) a meaningful
>>> report for this release.
>>>
>>> That means establishing a 1.36.0 milestone, declaring the criteria for
>>> including a ticket in 1.35.0, telling people that if they want an
>>> exception they have to get you to okay it, and maybe making any
>>> assignments of tickets to 1.35.0 and 1.36.0 that are obvious. Then we
>>> all have a list of issues to focus on killing off and we don't need to
>>> pester people as much.
>>>
>>> If you would like me to take on some of these tasks, please ask me.
>>
>>[dead silence since Monday]
>>
>>Am I really the only one that thinks this matters? I realize that as
>>a project we don't have a lot of experience with effective use of bug
>>and task tracking, but we also haven't been all that effective in the
>>run-up to a release. Using the tools we have effectively can make a
>>big difference.
>
> FWIW - I think you're on the right track here.
>
> The bugs in this report are the ones that someone has decided "need
> to be dealt with" for this release,

I'm not so sure. I don't think we've been paying enough attention to
guarantee that anyone really made a conscious decision about which
milestone each issue should be in, so while the report above should be
meaningful, I think it probably isn't meaningful yet.

That means, IMO, that all open tickets should be reviewed for
milestone assignment.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting