From: Marshall Clow (marshall_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-08 11:00:14

> > My point was that we should focus on making
> >
>http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&group=severity&milestone=Boost+1.35.0&order=priority
>> (the list of tickets assigned to the 1.35.0 milestone) a meaningful
>> report for this release.
>>
>> That means establishing a 1.36.0 milestone, declaring the criteria for
>> including a ticket in 1.35.0, telling people that if they want an
>> exception they have to get you to okay it, and maybe making any
>> assignments of tickets to 1.35.0 and 1.36.0 that are obvious. Then we
>> all have a list of issues to focus on killing off and we don't need to
>> pester people as much.
>>
>> If you would like me to take on some of these tasks, please ask me.
>
>[dead silence since Monday]
>
>Am I really the only one that thinks this matters? I realize that as
>a project we don't have a lot of experience with effective use of bug
>and task tracking, but we also haven't been all that effective in the
>run-up to a release. Using the tools we have effectively can make a
>big difference.

FWIW - I think you're on the right track here.

The bugs in this report are the ones that someone has decided "need
to be dealt with" for this release, and so we, as a group, should
resolve them.

Some of these will be hard to resolve because the maintainer of a
particular library has "gone walkabout", but we have been ducking
that issue for a long time, too.

>I'm only suggesting what most other projects I've seen do (including
>the Trac project) and it seems to work really well. There are all
>kinds of plugins we can install that will give us progress graphs,
>etc., but the builtin facilities of Trac are a good start.

I agree 100%

--
-- Marshall
Marshall Clow     Idio Software   <mailto:marshall_at_[hidden]>