From: eg (egoots_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-14 11:49:05

Beman Dawes wrote:

> We already do that. The branch is named branches/release. The question
> is how to keep track on an ongoing basis what has been merged into that
> branch and what hasn't. The point being to avoid "merge hell" which
> occurs when duplicate changes get merged or bi-directional merges fail
> to apply the appropriate changes in one direction or the other.

Use svnmerge.py for now.

See: http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py
... where it summarizes:

"svnmerge.py is a tool for automatic branch management. It allows branch
maintainers to merge changes from and to their branch very easily, and
automatically records which changes were already merged. This allows
displaying an always updated list of changes yet to be merged, and
totally prevents merge mistakes (such as merging the same change twice).

You can think of svnmerge as the equivalent of yellow sticky notes on a
Subversion branch that record which revisions have been merged in
already from one or more other branches, plus some useful functionality
for viewing, managing and updating that information. "