From: Mat Marcus (mat-lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-16 22:00:03

On Nov 12, 2007 7:47 AM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> There's been a patch for some time now
> <http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/989>. But no one has done the
> changes I requested to it, hence it's never been applied.

Hi Rene,

It just so happens that I'm digging into my patch once more. I tried
implementing your suggested modifications. A couple of questions
arose:

gcc on Mac OS X/darwin offers the Apple-only -arch option.

" -arch arch
           Compile for the specified target architecture arch. The allowable
           values are i386, ppc and ppc64. Multiple options work, and direct
           the compiler to produce ``universal'' binaries including object
           code for each architecture specified with -arch. This option only
           works if assembler and libraries are available for each
           architecture specified. (APPLE ONLY)
"

This option is separate from the -march option: -arch and -march are
two separate compiler flags, the latter with established bjam/gcc
usage. That is, if I replace my <arch> feature with an (enahnced)
<architecture> feature from builtin.jam, the existing gcc options
involving -march are eclipsed. The same holds for <address-model>. For
example, <address-model>32 maps to -m32 under 'normal' gcc, whereas I
would commandeer <architecture>power/<address-model>32, emitting -arch
ppc instead. Is this what you want?

 - Mat