From: Giovanni Piero Deretta (gpderetta_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-23 14:48:08

On Nov 22, 2007 11:39 PM, Mingnan Guo <hnxgc_pub_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> "Daniel Frey" <d.frey_at_[hidden]> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:1195640722.20820.7.camel_at_fiasko...
> >> "Q: Is HnxGC a freeware? or a GNU open-sourced project?
> >> A: No. HnxGC is *NOT* a freeware. The author of HnxGC has filed several
> > >patents of HnxGC in the United States and other countries. Whoever
> > >without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any of these
> > >patented invention, within the United States and/or other countries
> > >infringes the patent(s).
> > >
> >> However, the source code of HnxGC is available for reference upon
> > >request. For a non-commercial educational purpose, you may be granted
> > >free to use, copy and distribute the software and its documentations."
> >
> > Do you intend to put your library under the Boost Software License?
>
> Currently, HnxGC is not under the Boost Software License, but it is possible that
> in near or later future, we will release a version of HnxGC under Boost Software License.
> Prior to doing that, I want to be sure that whether or not the Boost License is conflicting with
> patented/patent-pending technologies. Could any body give me some successful examples
> of patents under Boost Software License, or explain it?

From the Boost License Requirements:

"Must grant permission without fee to copy, use and modify the
software for any use (commercial and non-commercial)."

I do not think that it necessarily conflicts with patents, as long as
you give every user of your program (and of derived work)
a royalty free license to use your patents [1], it might be ok, but
somehow I doubt this is what you had in mind.

Disclaimer: IANAL, ask a lawyer, etc...

HTH,

[1] which in practice makes the patent useless, with the notable of
exception of preventing others to patent the same idea.

--
gpd