From: Darren Garvey (darren.garvey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-26 06:33:25

Hi there Dean,

On 26/11/2007, Dean Michael Berris <mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've recently tried the suggestion in the Boost.Build documentation
> regarding the use of the lib rule to name libraries that can be
> supplied as dependencies and having the library available in the
> search path. I have a Jamfile that looks like:
>
> project my_project :
> requirements <include>..
> <link>static
> ;
>
> lib some_system_installed_lib : : <name>mylib ;

I'm not sure what you expect this to do. This lib has no sources and IIUC no
actual target. You can use the <location>/path/to/your/lib 'bit' (not sure
if this is called a feature, property, or what). I think that's what you're
expecting the <name> property? to do.

Just as a tip; something I noticed the other day from looking at the
sandbox math toolkit. If you want to link to a Boost.Build target, such as a
boost library (eg. Boost.Thread), you can use:

use-project /boost/thread/ : $(boost-root)/libs/thread/build ;

exe my_exe
 :
   my_main.cpp
 :
   <library>/boost/thread/
 ;

And AFAICT this will mean my_exe uses the right Boost.Thread object file for
the exe's requirements, building it if necessary. It'll also inherit all the
requirements of that project. I thought this was very cool. I get the
impression that this isn't common knowledge. :(

Hope that helps,
Darren