From: Jamie Allsop (ja11sop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-02 15:15:02

Anthony Williams wrote:
> "Phil Endecott" <spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> I have been benchmarking different mutex implementations on Linux. The
>> variations that I have considered are the following:
>
> Thanks for the benchmarks. It may well be worth replacing the
> pthread_mutex_t-based mutex with a futex-based one in some cases.

I'd just like to encourage this effort. Where I currently work lock
performance is a big issue, and no we don't have any small repeatable
tests - yet. Most of the tests have been real system tests and do not
lend themselves to simple comparisons and also before my time...

What I would say is that I will certainly be looking at Phil's code and
trying it out. From what I know in other parts of our code base, where
performance really counts, we use futexes.

So I'd really like to see this in boost::thread even if it is a
preprocessor option.

Jamie