From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-09 07:09:06

Barco You wrote:
> There are xerces and miniXML ... I think it's the real reason not to do so
> much redundance. :)

There's also RapidXML by Marcin Kalicinski (Boost license), which I
wasn't aware of when Stefan presented his libxml2-based library:

http://rapidxml.sourceforge.net/
http://rapidxml.sourceforge.net/manual.html

Quote: "RapidXml is an attempt to create the fastest XML DOM parser
possible, while retaining useability, portability and reasonable W3C
compatibility. It is an in-situ parser written in C++, with parsing
speed approaching that of strlen() function executed on the same data."

It achieves its high performance, IIUC, by not copying the XML as it
parses; instead it records pointers into the source text. This is an
approach that I have used with other data formats - I recently
mentioned a const_string_facade class that I have written for this -
and it works well for me.

It would be great to see some real-life feature-set, performance and
usability comparisons of this approach and a more traditional parser.
(Actually there are some numbers in the rapidxml manual linked above,
but they don't include libxml2).

Regards, Phil.