From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-14 20:32:55

Eric Niebler wrote:
> dan marsden wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I'm posting an early version of a library for manipulating
>> hierarchical data structures, for example the parse trees that are
>> produced by Spirit2.
>
> Or expression trees produced by proto. I just want to say that I think
> this is very important work -- I've been reading up on "scrap your
> boilerplate" in Haskell -- and I'm looking forward to leveraging Dan's
> work in proto, and other places besides. More comments later...

Ditto. I've done some early reviews of Dan's work. I think
it is a very powerful library. Dan is a bit too modest but
the Haskell guys call this the mother-of-all-traversals.
If you've done complex tree traversals before, if you've
delved into complex object visitations before, this one
is a must read.

     http://www.cs.vu.nl/boilerplate/
     http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/hmap/

and the c++ one. "'Scrap Your Boilerplate' (SYB) is a well
studied and widely used design pattern for generic traversal
in the Haskell language, but almost unknown to generic
programmers in C++." :

     http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1159861.1159871

Regards,

--