From: Jens Seidel (jensseidel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-28 04:08:09

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:02:26AM +0300, Alexei Alexandrov wrote:
> Alexei Alexandrov wrote:
> > I also ran the failing use case under valgrind - it showed a number of
> > "conditional jumps on uninitialized value" somewhere deep under
> > libstdc++ and also a couple of "4 bytes uninitialized read". I don't
> > know if it's related to the problem though - I was just trying to do
> > what I can.
> >
> > The problem is rather serious for me - I'm ready to do whatever it's
> > needed to help the boost.filesystem maintainer (is it you?) investigate
> > and fix the problem.
> >

> Beman, is there any way to help with investigating/fixing this issue? I
> also wonder whether wpath is being tested on Linux as part of Boost test
> suite? I mean, I'm the only one who reported this problem or just nobody
> used wchar_t with standard codecvt on Linux so far?

There is simple no need for wchar_t on Linux. If you use a classical
encoding in your filesystem it is a 8bit one (except you use a Asian
language such as Japanese). All modern distributions switched already
to UTF-8 as default encoding and for this you don't need wchar_t as
well. Use ordinary char* streams for this ...

Remember that you know for UTF-8 always where the current character
stops if you just have a pointer to an arbritary byte (in the middle of
a multi-byte character). It's also useless to group bytes pairwise as a
valid UTF-8 character can consist of more than two bytes. char* is
really sufficent.

Jens