From: James Talbut (James.Talbut_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-28 07:10:17

> Jens Seidel wrote
> There is simple no need for wchar_t on Linux. If you use a
> classical encoding in your filesystem it is a 8bit one
> (except you use a Asian language such as Japanese). All
> modern distributions switched already to UTF-8 as default
> encoding and for this you don't need wchar_t as well. Use
> ordinary char* streams for this ...
>
> Remember that you know for UTF-8 always where the current
> character stops if you just have a pointer to an arbritary
> byte (in the middle of a multi-byte character). It's also
> useless to group bytes pairwise as a valid UTF-8 character
> can consist of more than two bytes. char* is really sufficent.

wchar_t is required on Windows, if Linux doesn't support it fully cross
platform work is complicated.

Jim

This e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential. If you have received it in error, do not use or disclose the information in any way, notify me immediately, and please delete it from your system.