From: Schrader, Glenn (gschrad_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-31 13:51:08

Another wrinkle for latlon conversion is that there are two different latitudes. This results from the earth being an ellipsoid rather than a sphere (centrifugal force makes the equator bulge out more than the poles). The "geodetic" latitude is the angle from the equator to a line perpendicular to the local earth surface. The "geocentric" latitude is the angle is from the equator to a line that intersects the center of the earth. The geodetic latitude is the one used most often but there are uses for the other one.

-ges