From: Scott Woods (scott.suzuki_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-05 23:36:34

Hi Jurko,

A quality discussion with a familiar and disturbing outcome. No problemo :-)

Incidentally;

> Perhaps as I am not really knowledgeable in that 'enterprise domain'
> I do not really see how such an additional layer (a new one) could ever
> integrate into existing enterprise environments.

If by integration you mean application of the "new layer" tools on legacy
logging output, all that is needed is a converter. A simple example being
a network server that accepts syslog messages but uses "new layer" encoding
for storage. It would wrap the source material into a single encoded string
rather than attempt some parsing of the syslog text (where no consistent
notation or structure exists). The same server would also accept "new layer"
clients and stream the different client input into a common store.

Not a solution for all circumstances of course.

Cheers.