From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-06 15:44:57

On Feb 6, 2008 3:38 AM, Jens Seidel <jensseidel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I have seen already some quotes to the C++ standard such as this one
> and wonder whether it's legal. Isn't the standard a non-free document,
> it's as far as I know not even accessible without paying for it (in
> contrast to C#, which resulted in online docs for this language and
> the library even in Open Source IDEs which isn't still the case for
> C++).
>
> Seems like a copyright violation ...

I think that it's ok, mainly because it's a small thing. Google Books
thinks its allowed to show small excerpts from books, so hopefully
this is similar. It'd also be rather hard to search for such an
excerpt, so even a large number of quotations from the standard over
time would not be usable as a replacement for an actual copy of the
standard, so with luck it's "fair use".

If not, there's always the public comment draft standards which,
afaik, are on unrestricted distribution. Much of the C++0x draft
(outside the new featuers) should be the same as C++03.