From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-08 08:13:34

David Abrahams wrote:

> on Thu Feb 07 2008, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:
>
>> We've now got two home pages - one for the web site and one for the
>> boost-root tree.
>
> What are you referring to as the home page in the boost-root tree?

Yes.

> index.html in the top of our SVN trunk?

Yes.

> If so, I was under the
> impression that it was supposed to go away in favor of the "one for the
> web site."

Maybe the content is going to change drastically, but there still needs
to be some form of index.html at the top of our SVN trunk. Otherwise
offline access to other HTML pages within the tree is crippled.

>> We need to figure out how to keep the two in sync without totally
>> duplication of effort.
>
> Getting rid of one seems easier ;-)

If we get rid of the tree's index.html, how is anyone supposed to find
the other HTML pages within the tree, particularly when offline?

>> The problem is currently compounded by the boost-root tree home page
>> using HTML and the web site home page using PHP.
>>
>> Every developer needs to be able to update "news" content on both home
>> pages by adding entries in a single place, using a technology that does
>> not involve learning a new markup language or installing a new tool
>> chain.
>
> I don't know. Much as I am reluctant to do so, I'm thinking I probably
> need to learn PHP to be effective with the new site.

I'm very unhappy with that. Are we going to effectively require every
Boost developer become proficient in PHP? That seems like a non-starter
to me.

The alternative is to be dependent on a few people to maintain the web
site. That creates a very serious bottleneck.

--Beman