From: Jonathan Wakely (cow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-10 11:39:58

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 05:11:46PM +0100, Jens Seidel wrote:

> I always have trouble understanding the fine differences between
> Cygwin's gcc (uses probably pristine gcc source with Cygwin's
> POSIX layer) and mingw (a real port to Windows?). I really wonder why
> porting attempts to Windows are not already part of gcc source ...

MinGW includes a runtime environment as well as the compiler.
That's outside the scope of GCC.

GCC on cygwin relies on the cygwin-provided libc, which is a POSIXy
runtime environment, not a Windowsy one like MinGW's.

So there's nothing that could be included in the GCC source - the choice
of runtime (cygwin, djgpp, mingw, whatever) is external to the compiler.

> > Replacing string in a file? The VS2005 IDE :)
>
> And via script?

The Windows kind of guys I know don't do scripts. Incredible I know ;)

> > I'm a Windows kind of guy ;) When I'll have a decent debugger on Linux
> > (gdb on a scale from 1 to 10 , gets 1; ddd on a scale from 1 to 10, gets
> > 3.5), I might consider having a dual boot.

Personally I'd swap those numbers, I'd rather have no GUI than DDD's.

Jon