From: Jens Seidel (jensseidel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-10 11:11:46

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 04:17:58AM +0200, John Torjo wrote:
> Jens Seidel wrote:

> > Since you have gcc available I assume you use cygwin. Just install the
> >
> I use mingw

I always have trouble understanding the fine differences between
Cygwin's gcc (uses probably pristine gcc source with Cygwin's
POSIX layer) and mingw (a real port to Windows?). I really wonder why
porting attempts to Windows are not already part of gcc source ...

> Replacing string in a file? The VS2005 IDE :)

And via script?

> I'm a Windows kind of guy ;) When I'll have a decent debugger on Linux
> (gdb on a scale from 1 to 10 , gets 1; ddd on a scale from 1 to 10, gets
> 3.5), I might consider having a dual boot.
> Until then...

I use gdb's command line interface and understand you :-) I suggest you
try out Eclipse together with the CDT (C/C++) module. CDT 4.0 made a big
progress, it is fully graphical, cross platform, ... IDE. It's really great.
It doesn't always work properly with a free Java implementation as found
in many Linux distributions but now that Java is relicensed to GPL there
will be a lot of progress.

The last time I indexed Boost trunk I got only a single parser exception
(which I reported of course). So jumping to a definition of a class, and
other code navigation works quite good (but not yet perfect).

Jens