From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-11 14:56:05

Niitsuma Hirotaka skrev:
> How about
> M-x gdb
> with
> (setq gdb-many-windows t)
> (setq gdb-use-separate-io-buffer t)
> in .emacs.el

I will try those options.

> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GrandUnifiedDebugger

I would not recomend gud/gdb for debugging to people not using or
determined to start using Emacs. I think you should have other reasons
to start using Emacs than the debugger support. Sure, for those that
use emacs, gud/gdb is an option. GUD even support multipple debugger
back-ends. In the new GNU Emacs 22.x the GUD user interface has
improved a lot, more tempting but I am still not convinced. I am not a
gud/gdb fan, even though I use emacs as often I can :-) I have tried to
get used to using gud/gdb a few times as it integrate better with my
favorit editor than other debuggers. Problem is I know all too well
how to do my debugging in VisualStudio and SunStudio, so it is a
frustrating exercise to learn a new debugger user interface when I am
not forced to. In Linux, I have to say I debug as little as I can, I
try to get things working on Solaris with Sun tools and in Windows with
MS tools, then beg for it to work on Linux as well. I may try some
other tools on Linux next time I am forced to do serious debugging on
that platform.

I really only need to know how to use one debugger GUI if it only could
work on all platforms :-)

--
Bjørn