From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-22 09:35:28

Rene Rivera wrote:
> Eric Niebler wrote:
>> For the upcoming release, where do I note what has changed in my library?
>
> <http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/website/public_html/beta/feed/history/boost_1_35_0.qbk>

The format seems pretty self-explanatory even for those us not familiar
with Quickbook. But it would be even easier if Quickbook comments were
added to the relevant sections. For example,

[/
     Describe new libraries follow this comment. Format:

         @/libs/foo/index.html Foo] - STL compliant Foo generator,
         from Jane Programmer.
/]

(I'm not sure if that's actually the way to write Quickbook comments,
but you get the idea.)

> We'll shove that content to the release index.html from there. This is
> one part we do need to figure out how to automate :-( Or otherwise
> figure out how to have only one list of changes.

See trunk/tools/release for the scripts I'm using to generate the
release snapshots (and thus the release itself). They already include
docs generation, so perhaps it won't be too difficult to generate the
history.

Also, if it makes the process easier, I'm not adverse to using Quickbook
to generate the whole of the release index.html, as long as it is clear
to folks who aren't Quickbook literate what they have to do to make
changes, and the generation process is something smooth running that can
be integrated into the trunk/tools/release scripts without adding
complication. Those scripts have to be maintained by release managers
like me who only have a passing acquaintance with bash, so they have to
stick to the basics.

--Beman