From: Marco Costalba (mcostalba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-24 19:27:53

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Brian Ravnsgaard Riis
<brian_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I don't deal in raw pointers in application code though (well, if I can
> avoid it), so I added methods to the
> dispatcher template to return shared_ptrs instead. get_shared_by_key was
> the name I hacked up.

Hi Brian,

  thanks for your words.

Actually the choice to mimic a standard operator new is mainly due to

- Keep it simple and with well known behaviour, as a toy should be

- Do not impose a choice on a particular smart pointer, but let the
user wrap the returned pointer in his/her preferred one. Of course the
smart pointer class could be passed in as a template parameter, but
this complicates the implementation and so goes against one of my main
goals with this factory.

Marco