From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-05 08:38:54

On 05/03/2008, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> But a more serious issue is how to get the Quickbook/Docbook toolchain to
> correctly handle embedded MathML, and then generate XHTML that all browsers
> can read - I didn't exhaustively test this but I could only get Firefox to
> display MathML if the file had an ".xhtml" extension - the same file with an
> HTML extention didn't display the MathML.

The last I checked, we weren't generating valid XHTML and no one knew
how to fix it. The simplest method might be just to run the
documentation through tidy after generating it, although I'm not sure
how well that'd work. And you'd still have to work out how to embed
MathML. So there's a fair amount of work down that round.

> For IE7 it just wouldn't load
> anything with an .xhtml extention, and of course doesn't display MathML
> natively anyway.

By default IE7 doesn't support XHTML. But you can view MathML in IE7
using a plugin:

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/

The website also has some information on serving MathML (although
their Javascript looks a little dodgy).

Daniel