From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-05 09:05:24

Daniel James wrote:
> The last I checked, we weren't generating valid XHTML and no one knew
> how to fix it. The simplest method might be just to run the
> documentation through tidy after generating it, although I'm not sure
> how well that'd work. And you'd still have to work out how to embed
> MathML. So there's a fair amount of work down that round.

Yep, I think there was some progress on getting valid XML, but that it
wasn't ready for prime time yet :-(

>> For IE7 it just wouldn't load
>> anything with an .xhtml extention, and of course doesn't display
>> MathML natively anyway.
>
> By default IE7 doesn't support XHTML. But you can view MathML in IE7
> using a plugin:
>
> http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/
>
> The website also has some information on serving MathML (although
> their Javascript looks a little dodgy).

Yep, and their author guidelines don't exactly inspire confidence in the
whole thing - basically that Firefox requires files to have an .xhtml
extension in order to interpret them as such, where as IE simply doesn't
know what to do with files of that type :-(

This is the sort of technology that Boost really should be promoting, but
sadly it still looks rather too tricky at present!

John.