From: Nicola Musatti (nicola.musatti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-21 09:17:55

Daniel Pfeifer <daniel <at> pfeifer-mail.de> writes:

> Database access has been discussed quite often in the Boost mailing
> list. I read through the discussions from Oct 2004 and Jul/Aug 2005 and
> I am well aware of the fact that there is a lot of disagreement
> concerning the interface presented to the programmer. So I just hope you
> don't bite my head off if I propose this as a GSoC project. ;)
>
> Things I would like to implement:
> * generic binding of parameters and results (using Boost.Fusion)
> * asynchronous access (using Boost.Asio)
> * odbc, postgres, firebird, mysql and sqlite3 backends
> (using their proper C API)
> * DATE, TIME and DATETIME fields (using Boost.Date_Time or struct tm)

Have you seen my half baked attempt, SqlCli:
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/sandbox/sql_cli

Would you consider it as a starting point?

I'm not sure I'd qualify as a Boost mentor, nor if I'd be able to put in the
required time, but I do believe that a database access library would be a very
welcome addition to Boost (and to the C++ standard, by the way).

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti