From: Michael Dickey (mike_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-22 12:37:55

I started writing the Pion Network Library (first called "libpion")
almost a year ago to start learning Boost and to help fill a need I've
repeatedly encountered over the past decade. There are several good
third-party networking libraries available for C++, but none that took
advantage of Boost and the new ASIO library that will be included in
version 1.35. I have a lot of experience working with HTTP, and
needed to develop (for the third time in my career) a lightweight HTTP
server interface.

Although I planned to release libpion as open source, I never gave
much thought to submitting it for review to be included in Boost.
Over time, and with support and encouragement from the community, my
desire to do this grew. I've also been keeping up with the cpp-netlib
project on SourceForge, which shares the same goal. For several
months we've been kicking around the idea of merging our efforts.

Today, I've decided to commit to winding down the Pion Network Library
as an independent project, and merging all the code (about 15,000
lines) into the cpp-netlib project. This is going to be a gradual
conversion and refactoring of code, adopting it into the framework and
styles that have been established by the cpp-netlib folks. My goals
will be to enhance cpp-netlib so that it is functionally equivalent to
the current Pion Network Library (with asynchronous and synchronous
HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 client and server-side support), and to help prepare
cpp-netlib for inclusion in the next major Boost release.

I expect that the transition will take at least 3 to 6 months.
Because there are several entities actively using the Pion Network
Library (including my own company, Atomic Labs), I plan to continue
developing and enhancing it as an independent project at least until
the transition has been fully completed.

Dean, Glyn and I are excited about merging the two projects and
developer communities, and I am happy to be part of what is now the
definitive candidate for a Boost networking protocol library.

Take care,
-Mike