From: Sohail Somani (sohail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-23 18:14:55

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:08:17 -0700, Jeff Garland wrote:

>> To reiterate, its really easy to write a JSON archive that operates
>> just like current archives, but the thing to determine is whether Boost
>> Serialization can inter-operate nicely with the outside world. I think
>> the answer is yes, with limitations. IMHO, any GSoC application should
>> address this, but I am not reviewing them so don't listen to me ;-)
>>

> I'm reviewing them (as are others listening here) and really suggest
> they listen to you

LOL! Thanks for the compliment!

> I was actually unaware of the object graph
> limitations in JSON. Of course it turns out there's at least one
> proposal to fix these problems:
>
> http://www.jspon.org/?mode=html&noscript=true
>
> Or the project could specify limitations to the types that can be
> serialized in the archive. That's up to the students to propose...

Oh, I'm liking the odds of this succeeding. I am pretty sure that a
summer of 6 hrs/day is more than enough to implement a good chunk of a
json_[io]archive and/or jspon_[io]archive depending on the availability
of parsers.

If the student was to concentrate solely on jspon, one of the tasks could
be writing a working parser for another language (Java? Python?) to get
the ball rolling... Just some pie-in-the-sky for Sunday. IMHO, this has
the most promise of providing all features of Boost Serialization.

While I have your attention, please don't make the library header-only.

:-D

--
Sohail Somani
http://uint32t.blogspot.com