From: Anthony Williams (anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-25 03:58:30

Eric Niebler <eric <at> boost-consulting.com> writes:

> No misuse, and no tool other than subversion. FWIW, I'm running
> subversion via cygwin on vista. Is this just the price of doing business
> on windows?
>
> "Permission denied!"
> More subversion corruption.
> Another day lost.

I use Windows XP as my primary development platform, and subversion works fine.
However, I don't use cygwin (I prefer native ports of unix apps ---
gnuwin32.sf.net has quite a selection, and I found a port of tcsh and other
tools too), and I don't use Vista, so it might be either of those to blame.

The only times I've had subversion repository corruption were:

1. I had a large disk (160Gb), without all the "large disk" flags ticked in
Windows, so when the data expanded over 128Gb, it was mapped onto data at the
beginning of the disk. This initially appeared as occasional bad files in the
subversion repository and elsewhere, and eventually resulted in a trashed disk.

2. Someone checked in a symlink on linux. This is disastrous for a Windows
sandbox. You can't check it out, you can't delete it, you can't clean up the
sandbox once it's there .... you have to delete it from the repository, and then
recreate the sandbox.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams            | Just Software Solutions Ltd
Custom Software Development | http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk