From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-25 09:07:10

Federico,

> > Given your (yet to be written) project proposal gets accepted I'ld
> like to
> > consider mentoring it since I have got a lot of GIS
> experience/background
> > over the last 10-15 years or so.
> >
> > But I think that you should make your project proposal well focused
> to a
> > narrow domain to be doable in the short timeframe provided by GSoC.
> Either
> > topic (spatial indexing and coordinate transformations) are rather
> complex
> > and I doubt these are small enough to be finished in 3 months (as
> long as
> > you don't have any partial implementations available, that is).
>
> Hi Hartmut!
>
> Thanks for your interest. We don't have any partial implementations
> yet, so maybe it's a good idea to only take the spatial indexing part
> (that is more interesting to me). I only have some experience using
> other implementations and hacking them.
>
> So, I'll start with the proposal this days and start asking questions
> about it..! :) Hope you and Barend can answer..!! :D
>
> Any general advice?

Hmmm. A good writeup of how a good proposal should look like is here (I
assume you've seen the Boost GSoC pages already):
http://shlang.com/writing/soc2005.html. But if you google around you'll
probably will be able to find a lot of other related material as well.
Important for us is to make sure the summer projects result in some real
quality code and the written library is more than halfway through towards a
Boost review in the end (being through completely would be even better, but
the experience shows this is very difficult to achieve in the short time
frame). Since we have to make the selection of students based on their
proposals (and their preliminary discussions on the list) only, these
proposals have to convince us that the student will be able to deliver what
he promised. So my general advice is to write a strong proposal, outlining
your strengths, plans and ideas in a concise and dedicated manner.

HTH
Regards Hartmut