From: Daniel Frey (d.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-26 08:08:00

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 11:56 +0100, Kevin Scarr wrote:
> Daniel Frey wrote:
> > Also, my question is not about the current *implementation* (or any
> > specific implementation at all), but about the *interface* shared_ptrs
> > intends to provide. What happens if I switch to GCC's implementation of
> > std::shared_ptr in the future? Or some other compiler/platform?
>
> Sorry, I thought you were asking about boost::shared_ptr. I did not know
> that a std::shared_ptr had been defined. If it has, then you would need
> to look to its documentation.

Erm, OK, it's not yet defined, but I think this is the intention, Peter
explicitly working on it and IIUC he already "donated"
boost::shared_ptr's code to the GCC people. Maybe my formulation wasn't
very good.

I hope it's OK if I address these issues here, with the boost
implementation only as an example (or reference implementation) but also
looking at the larger picture of intended behavior and guarantees of
what should be standardized in the future.

Regards, Daniel