From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-31 01:46:46

Steve M. Robbins skrev:
> Hello,
>
> I realize that Boost doesn't promise ABI compatibility across releases,
> nor even API compatibility according to the FAQ:
>
> How can the Boost libraries be used successfully for important
> projects?
>
> Many of the Boost libraries are actively maintained and
> improved, so **backward compatibility with prior version isn't
> always possible**. Deal with this by freezing the version of the
> Boost libraries used by your project. Only upgrade at points in
> your project's life cycle where a bit of change will not cause
> problems. Individual bug fixes can always be obtained from the
> boost repository.
>
> (emphasis mine)
>
> OK, but *in practice* is there a large amount of work adapting
> existing client code tero a new release? I'm asking in order to gauge
> whether it is useful for a linux distribution (Debian) to keep
> multiple versions of Boost available simultaneously; e.g. 1.34.1 and
> 1.35. Currently Debian provides only the latest version of Boost.

I guess it may make sence to keep them around, but that also has it
issues - disk space being the most obvious, but binary and interface
incompatibillity is likely to be a more serious.

I would like to know answers to some questions if anybody have them.
Please s/debian/fedora/g or whatever if that helps.

How many debian packages actually depend on boost?
How many debian packages typicaally need more than a recompile with a
new boost version?
Are there open source packages or applications debian have to support
that uses boost in API or other interfaces?
Are there closed source packages or applications debian have to support
that uses boost in API or other interfaces?

--
Bjørn