From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-01 12:47:30

Jens Seidel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that headlines look very strange on the new website. I think
> the problem is
>
> #content h1, #content h2, #content h3, #content h4, #content h5, #content h6 {
> margin: 0em;
> color: #000000;
> font-family: "Times New Roman",serif;
> font-variant: small-caps;
> clear: both;
> }
>
> in http://www.boost.org/style/css_0/content.css.
>
> Why is a special font used? I do not have such a font and I would also prefer
> if the browser would be able to use a default. As far as I know it is save to
> use a few standard font aliases such as sans-serif or similar in HTML but
> "Times New Roman" is probably not one of these, right?

The standard specifies that the font-family is a preference list. Hence
the first font found is used. In the above the "Times New Roman" is a
Windows font. On other platforms it should select whatever your
preferred "serif" font is. The font choice is intentional in that first
the times-new-roman is the best displaying built-in serif font on
Windows, hence it will show nicely on peoples screens. Second serif is
used in the heading since they are easier to read, and the larger size
makes them possible, without going overboard with bold or other
enhancements.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything