From: Jonathan Franklin (franklin.jonathan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-01 17:58:45

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Sohail Somani <sohail_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 21:25:45 +0200,
> David Rodríguez Ibeas wrote:
>
> > Considering the interest
> > placed lately in JSON and other Serialization backends, a CORBA backend
> > might be of interest to GSoC students and could be useful for the
> > implementation.
>
> Not a CORBA expert (read it is as COBRA (the reptile) for a long time!)
> but I think a CORBA backend makes no sense for serialization. Instead you
> might use serialization to marshal the data between distributed C++
> components. Sounds crazy enough to work!

Correct.

Further, since CORBA deals with remote objects etc, it requires
serialization that is cross platform. e.g. Platform A must always be able
to correctly deserialize messages that were serialized by platform B, for
all platforms A and B. I believe this not to be the case for
Boost.Serialization, but Sohail would clearly know the answer to this.

Jon