From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-04 15:33:43

John Maddock:

> So the question becomes, how do you want these macros to behave?

The specific issue that I have is the user macro BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS being
set by Boost.Config. I want to be sure that user macros are only set by the
user and reflect his intent.

In general, it would be nice if BOOST_HAS_THREADS actually means:

"Defined if the compiler, in its current translation mode, supports multiple
threads of execution."

as described in the documentation. The current behavior of "strict mode"
disabling BOOST_HAS_THREADS does not match the documentation.

BOOST_HAS_WINTHREADS is documented to mean:

"The platform supports MS Windows style threads."

but its approximate meaning today is:

"#include <windows.h> works"

I don't dispute that it might be useful to know whether <windows.h> can be
included or not, of course.