From: Daniel Walker (daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-19 18:22:42

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 5:26 AM, shunsuke <pstade.mb_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Giovanni Piero Deretta wrote:
> > Unfortunately I think that with so few reviews (just mine for now?),
> > the library will have an hard time getting into Boost at this
> > time. Probably the author didn't do a good job at selling it, even if
> > many expressed interest in the past.
> >
> > If the library were to be rejected, I think that the author should
> > resubmit a just a subset of it for inclusion, which would have a far greater
> > chance to be appreciated and evaluated in a short time.
> >
> > This subset, IMHO, should concentrate on stateless function objects
> > and should at least contain:
> <snip/>
> > Other advanced features, like pipability and infix notation (I like
> > this one!) could then be evaluated once the basic functionality has
> > been sold :). So should more hard-core functional capabilities like
> > memoization and the fix point combinator. Support for static
> > initialization of function objects could also come in a second time.
>
> It would be a good idea.
> But I'm going to give up mainly because of lack of interests
> and documentation skills.

Well, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet! I think Giovanni's
suggestion to resubmit a subset of the library may be a very good
idea. Keep it simple. A simpler library would also be easier to
review. You brought up some interesting points in your response to my
comments on Tuesday (especially regarding the usefulness of egg::lazy)
and I've been thinking about it on and off all week. I believe there
may be a real opportunity here, if you don't mind refractoring things
a bit. Oh, and I hereby volunteer to help with the documentation, if
you like. Actually, I think I might enjoy it! However, be warned: You
may need to ping me every now and then, as I tend to wander off.
Still, I'm a native English speaker with a writerly predisposition,
though I'm often cursed by typos and misspellings, and I'd be glad to
help.

Daniel