From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-24 04:40:16

Christian Henning wrote:
> Hi John,
>

>> I don't want to release Gautam's full proposal without his
>> permission: I'm CC'ing him so he can respond directly, but I believe
>> he's tied up in exams until the end of the month.
>
> I can wait no problem.
>

>> Was there something specific you were interested in?
>
> I'm very interested in the SIMD part. What functions of the math
> toolkit would be targeted? Also, will this project create facilities
> that I can use SIMD hardware with my own calculations? For example, I
> would very much like to do ray/box intersection tests by using SSE.
> Would that be possible after the SOC?

Maybe :-)

It's not the main focus of the project, I believe the intent was to use the
Intel SSE intrinsics directly rather than abstracting them, since these
appear to be available on all Intel based platforms. Although some other
platforms also support vectorising operations, they're predominantly for
integer or 32-bit float operations which is less useful for our purposes
(anyone know different?).

> This project might be of interest to you, in case you didn't know
> about it:
>
> http://www.pixelglow.com/macstl/

Indeed, thanks!

John.