From: David Rodríguez Ibeas (dibeas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-25 03:02:04

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 5:08 AM, shiwei xu <xushiweizh_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I don't think shared ownership is a requirement. It is only a memory
> management technique. Why don't Java programmers care such a question?

They don't care because it is solved by the virtual machine. Dividing
available memory into per-thread blocks and allocating from there avoids the
need for a lock mechanism on each allocation. That does not mean that memory
is not shared among threads, only that empty space is not shared. Memory is
actually shared among threads. In Java shared ownership is not a
requirement, it is a fact. Garbage collector does not consider which thread
has what references, only that there are references to the object.

   David