From: brass goowy (brass_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-29 18:55:03

Ulrich Eckhardt writes: >Why bother? >------------ >The very simple reason is simplicity. >* Even on a system where I don't have admin access, I can easily download and >compile against Boost, without having to first compile shared/static libs or >having to modify paths in order for the runtime linker to find DLLs. > >* Even if I had admin access, I would still be reluctant to installing Boost's >trunk. > >* When I'm testing different compiler settings trying to get another few >percent of performance, I don't have to compile another Boost version for >each compiler setting. > I think you have to rebuild the compile_inplace.cpp file each time you want to test a different compiler setting. I don't find an advantage to what you advocate here. >* I don't have to know which library to link to, which lowers entry barriers >for new Boost users. > >* I can easily compile and distribute programs without having to worry about >required shared libraries. > That would be helpful. The Ebenezer approach already has that. Brian Wood Ebenezer Enterprises www.webEbenezer.net "Many a time have they afflicted me from my youth, may Israel now say: Many a time have they afflicted me from my youth: yet they have not prevailed against me." Psalm 129: 1,2